If you’re not currently receiving any treatment for insomnia, or if your current treatment isn’t enhancing the duration and quality of your sleep, you may want to give cannabis a try.
Co-author, Richard Faulk.
Ask any CBD or THC supplier and one of the main referrals for their product is sleep disorders. Known to be a natural sleep aid, cannabis and CBD oil has been proven to assist with insomnia and better sleep.
Here are five things to understand about the effect cannabis has on getting a better night’s sleep:
1) It might be better to choose the bong over the bottle. In fact, while booze is proven to shorten your slumber and decrease REM patterns in sleep, cannabis has both intoxicating and relaxant properties which can bring sweeter dreams and easier waking.
2) Long-term use of cannabis may lessen the drug’s effects, and withdrawal can cause not only insomnia but also a rebound REM effect that temporarily produces more vivid and frequent dreaming.
3) Cannabis can help ease stress, which, in turn, can improve sleep), reduce the amount of times you wake up in the middle of the night, and shorten the amount of time it takes for you to fall back to sleep.
4) Unlike many sleep aids (such as Ambien and Lunesta), marijuana is safe for long-term use. And even when used long-term, marijuana is still significantly less likely to be habit-forming.
RELATED: Just 16 Minutes Of Sleep Loss Can Harm Work Concentration The Next Day
5) Interestingly, cannabis can have an important impact with those who suffer from PTSD. According to The Sleep Doctor, THC reduces dreaming and individual may experience less dream-like sleep when using cannabis regularly, helping those that have violent or disturbing dreams sleep more soundly.
RELATED: Marijuana Vs. Prescription Sleep Aids: Which Is Better For Insomnia?
Every patient responds differently, which is why some find that prescription sleep aids ultimately work better than marijuana. But if you’re not currently receiving any treatment for insomnia, or if your current treatment isn’t really working for you, you may want to give weed a try.