There are countless ways your dog accidentally gets high. From mistakenly eating an edible, to ingesting a few buds that you carelessly left on your nightstand, to having your curious canine drink the water from your bong. These things happen. So what do you do if your pup gets high? First, don’t freak out.
Related Story: Pets In Pain? Here’s How Marijuana Can Help
Here’s why: this “my dog accidentally got high” anecdote is more common than you might think. Pups across America are getting high all the time. In fact, in the last five years alone there has been a whopping 330 percent increase in people seeking aid from the Pet Poison Helpline for their high pets, according to the Helpline’s director, Ahna Brutlag. This doesn’t just include dogs though: birds, cats, rabbits and other domestic animals have been reported “accidentally” high.
Uncomfortable, Yes. Deadly? No.
The symptoms vary greatly, but are rarely fatal. According to a 2013 study published in Topics in Companion Animal Medicine, these symptoms can include vomiting, tremors, agitation and in some cases seizures, depending on the dosage consumed and the potency of the marijuana.
For example, a dog who ate a pot brownie might have a higher or more severe reaction than a pup who accidentally ate a marijuana bud, especially if the former contains chocolate. Chemicals in chocolate, specifically theobromine, are often responsible for a dog’s vomiting and upset stomach.
The best thing you can do is take note of the symptoms and call the Pet Poison Helpline and be honest. This honesty will go a long way and will allow the hotline to better aid in the next course of action, which usually includes allowing the pup to sleep it off.
However, in rare cases where your animal consumes cannabutter, that’s probably a good time to bring them into the nearest vet, immediately. The 2013 study notes that “Although the drug has a high margin of safety, deaths have been seen after ingestion of food products containing the more concentrated medical-grade THC butter.”
Marijuana Can Actually Help Fido
You should know that not all pups under the influence of marijuana are accidents. There is actually a growing community of people who give their pets biscuits and other treats containing CBD (cannabis’ non-psychoactive ingredient) to treat certain ailments. It has already been proven that cannabis can be a strong remedy for a wide variety of medical conditions including cancers, seizures and chronic pain in humans and so now, people are using them to treat their pets’ health problems as well.
But in the event you are not apart of the community of people intentionally getting their pets high to treat ailments here’s one thing you can do to make sure your pets are guarded from your weed: be responsible and stop leaving your packed bowl on the kitchen table.