If you are afflicted with motion sickness, the thought of a car trip, even across town, feels you with dread – there might be a solution.
This summer is expected to be a banner year for travel. Millions will be climbing into cars, boarding airplanes and setting sail on cruise ships. “This summer, travelers are clearly ready to dust off their passports and embrace jet lag as they set off overseas,” says Melanie Fish, head of Expedia Group brands public relations. Bur if you suffer from motion sickness, maybe cannabis or CBD can help.
For those suffering from motion sickness, this isn’t an exciting prospect. About a third of people experience motion sickness at any given time. Women, and children age two to 12 are most at risk. Medications exist for motion sickness, but it does not work effectively for everyone. An effective alternative to these medications that a lot of people are unaware of is cannabis.
What is Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness occurs when your brain can’t make sense of information sent from your eyes, ears and body. Lots of motion — in a car, airplane, boat, or even an amusement park ride — can make you feel queasy, clammy or sick to your stomach.
For example, if your eyes cannot see the movement, it might send a signal that there is movement to your brain. If your other senses can feel the movement and send the information to your brain, it leaves the brain confused.
Types of Motion Sickness
There are three major types of motion sickness:
- Air Sickness: This usually occurs when traveling in an aircraft, including airplanes, helicopters, gliders, parameters, and jets.
- Car Sickness: This typically happens when you are moving in a vehicle on land, most likely a car.
- Sea Sickness: Seasickness occurs on water, usually in boats or ships.
Categories of Motion Sickness
Motion sickness can be classified into three categories based on the source of the trigger:
- Motion sickness that is triggered by motion that you cannot see but you can feel. In this case, while your nerves send the correct message to your brain, your eyes cannot do the same resulting in motion sickness.
- Motion sickness that is triggered by motion that you can see but cannot feel. In this case, while your eyes send the correct message to your brain, your eyes cannot do the same resulting in motion sickness.
- Motion sickness that is triggered when your auditory and visual systems detect different types of motion. In this case, they send different signals to the brain resulting in motion sickness.
Symptoms of Motion Sickness
The symptoms of motion sickness are usually not too serious, but can cause great uneasiness. The common symptoms of motion sickness include sweating, shortness of breath, drowsiness, nausea and vomiting, pale skin, and yawning. Regular occurrence of this condition results in more serious issues like a fear of travel.
Who Is At Risk of Having Motion Sickness?
There are two classes of people that have the highest risk of suffering from motion sickness: pregnant women and children. These factors increase your chances of getting motion sickness:
- Family history of motion sickness.
- Hormonal birth control.
- Inner ear disorders.
- Menstrual periods.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Anxiety and fear about traveling
- Using an unfamiliar mode of traveling
- Poor ventilation in the vehicle
- Having no access to a window and being unable to see the motion.
How Cannabis Helps With Motion Sickness
In recent years, medical cannabis has been suggested by advocates as a possible remedy for motion sickness. Medical marijuana is used to ease chemotherapy-induced nausea, and research has shown that it can help with motion-induced nausea as well.
Two cannabinoids contained in cannabis, CBD and THC, are known to be active receptors in the human body. These cannabinoids reduce counter the release of the body chemicals that cause nausea, thereby easing the discomfort that comes with motion sickness.
Symptoms of Motion Sickness That Cannabis Tackles
Cannabis helps with motion sickness by treating the symptoms. Some of these symptoms include:
- Nausea and vomiting
RELATED: Can Marijuana Ease Motion Sickness?
Best Means of Consuming Cannabis For Motion Sickness
Vaping: This from is portable, easy to use and discreet. Vaping also has a minimum smell and allows you to control dosing.
Tinctures: This form of cannabis is taken sublingually. Simply place a few drops of the cannabis under your tongue before the trip.
Topicals: This includes oils, balms, and lotions that can be rubbed on the body before the trip.
Edibles: This type of cannabis is consumed in oral form, such as gummies and cookies. Edibles can be eaten anywhere.
Transdermal Patch: This method involves the infusion of cannabis into the bloodstream.
Hopefully these suggestion will help improve your health when you are in a car, plane or boat. Motion sickness is thing and there are things you can do. While using cbd as a driver can be ok, we suggest avoiding driving while consuming cannabis.