High schoolers experiment and do dumb things…one has lead a business owner to encourage parents to talk to their kids
A cannabis business owner issued a warning due to high school students going a bit to far experimenting with marijuana. The Billings, Montana guy felt called to action in the changing world of legalization and lack of education for students.
Rich Abromeit, the CEO of Montana Advanced Caregivers, explained that dabs are much more concentrated than other marijuana products and that an overdose of them can feel and produce symptoms akin to being drunk.
“It would be like drinking too much,” he said. “You’re going to get nauseous, vomit, want to lie down. You’re going to want to sleep. You’re not going to be very coherent.”
Abromeit then said that dabbing is often used by medical marijuana users or people who have built up a cannabis tolerance over the years. “If you came in with no tolerance and use something with 80 percent THC, it would be a miserable experience,” he said. “Your average cannabis these days is 18 to 22%. Dabs can be upwards to 90%, 92%.”
He then called for more information before a product is consumed and equated cannabis to alcohol in terms of different strengths and effects depending on the type. “Educating the public and public safety is the most important task I believe we have right now,” he said.
Earlier this week, two students from the local high school were taken to the hospital after overdosing on dabs.
Public Schools Superintendent Greg Upham encouraged parents to speak with their kids regarding marijuana.
“You need to understand what this level of THC (the active ingredient in marijuana), and what the legalization of marijuana is all about for our kids,” he said.
Despite the scare, all students involved were now okay.