It may be more popular than the Super Bowl. It will definitely stir up some feelz fer reelz. It could even help decide the course of our country. Yes, tonight is the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. There is a good chance you will be watching. But whether you are or you aren’t, you’re gonna need some help surviving this super epic moment that will change everything. (Or not.) We are here to help you not get so riled up, to remain chill if you will, and realize that we will get through this. And so, 50 years to the day since the first-ever televised prez debate—between Nixon and Kennedy—here we go. Fasten your seatbelts, it’s going to be a bumpy-ass ride.
1. Go zen. Try yoga or Buddhism. Something. Clear your mind. There are many, many benefits to engaging regularly in yoga, and the smarty pants at Harvard Medical School have documented them. Personally, I might just hang out in Downward Facing Log until this is all over.
2. Split town. We all know Airbnb can be a great and affordable way to explore the world. And what better time to turn off, tune out, and get the F outta here. The good folks at Refinery29 have helpfully put together this list of 44 highly interesting Airbnbs, from which you can decide not to think about what it all means.
3. Smoke out. One way to almost guarantee you will not want to think about what it all means is to get so freakin’ high that all you want to do is eat insane state fair foods and hit the burrito sauna. Toward that end, here are five strains of marijuana that will, apparently, “melt your mind.” Once it is unmelted, you will likely feel better about the state of our political discourse.
4. Listen up. Have you heard Chris Gethard’s podcast ‘Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People?’ It’s beautiful. You will probably dig it.
5. Write this. I once wrote a list of things I love in the world. And stuff I wanted to try. Even just writing that stuff down made me feel better. The first ten things on my list were:
1. Make a stranger laugh. 2. Give your kid(s) an extra hug and kiss. 3. Donate time or money or both to a good cause. 4. Find a rose and literally stop and smell it. 5. Wear exciting socks. 6. Wear exciting underwear. 7. Start a new creative project–even if it’s just a single sentence. 8. Tell someone you love them. 9. Buy a book from an independent book store. 10. Eat delicious cheese (or delicious bread — sup, vegans!).
What’s on your list?