Looking to elevate your morning bagel? This cannabis cream cheese is guaranteed to take “wake and bake” to the next level.
The recipe couldn’t be simpler: just let some cream cheese soften, whip it up with some cannabutter, and you’re good to go. The cannabutter imparts just the slightest herbal flavor to the cream cheese, yielding a genuinely tasty “schmear” that can be used for breakfast and beyond. This cannabis cream cheese can be used as a spread, to make cream cheese frosting, or in any sweet or savory recipe calling for cream cheese.
Cannabis Cream Cheese “Schmear”
- 1 brick (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (see recipe note)
- 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp cannabutter
- Spices or flavorings of your choice
Note: this recipe can be scaled up or down (for instance, you could halve it, or double it)
1. Combine the softened cream cheese and the cannabutter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
2. Mix together on medium speed for about 8 minutes (yes, that long). Pause the mixer 2 or 3 times during the process so that you can scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula; this will help ensure that no bits of cannabutter form a concentrated pocket in one portion of the cream cheese. The mixture may gain a little volume and will attain a soft, whipped texture. If desired, you can stir in spices or flavorings (some people like garlic flakes, for instance; choose your own adventure).
3. The mixture is ready to use right away; for storage, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Refer to the expiration date on the cream cheese packaging to determine how long it will keep.
A note on dosage:
I “dosed” this recipe with 1 teaspoon of cannabutter per serving. The strength of your finished product will depend on many factors, including the type of marijuana you used and how you made your cannabutter. For more tips on proper dosage, visit this post.
Be sure to give your cream cheese ample time to soften to room temperature. If the cream cheese is too cold, it will remain lumpy and won’t properly combine with the cannabutter.
Related Story: 5 Ways To Utilize Leftover Marijuana Pulp From Cannabutter
This recipe can be made with regular cannabutter or vegan cannabutter. In terms of the cream cheese, you can use any type you’d prefer: vegan cream cheese, low fat cream cheese, etc.