The hotel industry is in a scuffle with a growing trend: guests who violate the smoking policies by toking up or vaping in the room or inside the hotel itself has his credit card charged for additional dollars for the violation.
It used to be that guests were routinely asked whether they would prefer a smoking room or not. But today the number of hotels offering smoking rooms is vanishingly small.
According to the American Hotel and Lodging Association, a trade group, the share of hotel rooms that are non-smoking has steadily risen from 74 percent to 97 percent over the past ten years. The proportion of hotels that only offer non-smoking rooms has jumped from 38 percent in 2008 to 85 percent since then.
What many of us don’t know is that the cleaning crew is not just sniffing for evidence but looking for it in the trash receptacles and they are savvy enough to look for more than the very typical signs of pot smoking.
There are a few techniques and devices used to promote the illusion of a smoke-free environment that might help in this situation. And at least three of these can be used if you have a strict landlord or are living with the parents.
1) Tip the cleaning crew daily, even if you haven’t made much of a mess beyond the lingering odour of some dank Pink Kush. Always tip your cleaning crew daily.
2) When comedian Doug Benson saw that some hotels were using the AirGuard device to detect anyone smoking tobacco or weed in their hotel room, he declared a boycott on those hotels. To keep toking without the expense, he uses a Smokebuddy to filter the air he exhales into it.
3) Make a sploof—the poor man’s Smokebuddy—with a plastic bottle, dryer sheets, and scissors. Rinse the bottle out, puncture the base several times and stuff it with dryer sheets until full but not packed. Poke a hole into the cap and add a final dryer sheet under the cap as you screw it back on. Exhale your weed-filled lungs into the bottle and turn skunky smoke into Mountain Fresh Linen Breeze.
Alternative option: this “DIY artisanal” sploof looks promising.
Do not throw this out in your trash can in case it reeks or the cleaning crew cotton on to what it is.
4) Turn the bathroom into a steamy hotbox. Turn the shower on full-blast hot and seal the space at the bottom of the door with a towel. Once your bathroom is sufficiently steamy, spark up and enjoy. The smoke will convolve with the steam, neutralizing the smell. Once you’ve finished your joint, flush the roach down the toilet. By the time you leave the bathroom, there will be no odorous evidence of you ever having smoked. The steam will have masked the smell of marijuana smoke.
5) Joints and blunts leave behind the most offensive and detectable odour. Use vape pens and avoid having to follow some of the above tips. Except for number one: tip the cleaning crew daily.