Are you a cannabis devotee who craves sweet and salty snacks? If answered yes, then you’ll go nuts (pun absolutely intended) for these cannabis candied walnuts.
A mixture of sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract gives the nuts an appealingly sweet flavor; the salt and earthy flavor of the cannabutter act as an appealing contrast to the sweetness. These sweet and salty flavor components work in tandem with the rich flavor of the nuts to form a truly addictive snack that packs a groovy cannabis kick. Bet you can’t eat just one!
Cannabis Candied Walnuts
Makes 6 servings
- 2-3/4 cups nuts (I used walnut halves, but you could also use pecans or almonds, for instance)
- 2 tablespoons cannabutter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Set your oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Scatter the walnuts on top. Place the pan in the oven (you can put it right in while the oven preheats), and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until you can begin to smell a toasty aroma.
Remove from the oven and let cool; turn down the heat to 250 degrees on the oven (you’ll be using it again). This step will just help give the nuts a nice crispy texture later on.
2. Place the cannabutter, sugar, water, salt, and cinnamon in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to keep the sugar from scorching or crystallizing. Once it comes to a boil and the sugar is dissolved, let it cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
3. After 2 minutes of boiling, add the vanilla and the nuts. Reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture has thickened to the point where the nuts have absorbed most of the coating (a little bit of liquid with a thick, caramel-like texture is fine).
4. Scatter back on to the baking sheet (totally fine to use the same one, even if it has little flakes of nut “skins” on it). Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Any liquid from the coating may begin to bubble and solidify; totally fine.
Related Story: Cannabis Cosmic Toast Is Your New Breakfast Obsession
Remove from the oven, give them one more stir, then let cool on the sheet. They will harden and likely stick together as they cool; break up any bits that are stuck together. You can serve immediately; store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
A note on dosage
I “dosed” this recipe with 1 teaspoon of cannabutter per serving. The strength of your finished product will depend on many factors, including the type of marijuana you used and how you made your cannabutter. For more tips on proper dosage, visit this post.