We want to warn you upfront — this is a story that will cause you to ask a lot of questions that will likely never be answered.
According to local NBC affiliate WTHR, an Indianapolis woman called upon local firefighters when her pet raccoon somehow ingested loads of marijuana and she worried the pet raccoon might be overdosing.
She was so worried, in fact, that she didn’t call her veterinarian or 911, but instead approached the fire department at 2 a.m. and began furiously ringing their doorbell. Wayne Township Fire Capt. Mike Pruitt told WTHR the doorbell was rung so many times, firefighters worried something seriously dangerous had occurred.
Related Story: How This Senior Dog Was Saved With Medical Marijuana
Instead they were greeted by a woman and her pet raccoon, high as hell.
Story of the day! Our FF’s at Station 82 were awakened at 2 am last week to a person seeking treatment for her pet Raccoon. What was his illness you ask? The raccoon had smoked too much weed. Yes! It happened! As much as we love animals, there wasn’t much they could do. pic.twitter.com/lypHvrBZSJ
— Wayne Township Fire Department (@Waynetwpfire) April 16, 2018
“They could tell that the raccoon was lethargic and met all of those symptoms that we typically run into when someone’s been exposed to marijuana,” Pruitt said. “It really left the guys scratching their heads that someone brought a raccoon to the firehouse at 2 a.m. seeking help.”
Related Story: Medical Marijuana For Your Dog: Is It Safe?
While the firefighters dealt with the stoned raccoon and its owner, dispatchers were on radio trying to deduce the cause. Speculation started that the raccoon might actually be on meth or heroin, and someone suggested they Narcan the pet raccoon if necessary.
Eventually the firefighters and dispatchers gave up, with one citing the whole situation was just “too weird.” The only thing to do when you become too high is let time takes its course. Now we know that extends to pet raccoons as well.