If the “Life’s not fair” proverb was a restaurant, it’d be Maruka in Tokyo’s Chiyoda Ward.
After 113 years in business, the soba shop was forced to close because of its owner’s crippling allergy to buckwheat, the main ingredient in soba.
The sign that hangs outside the restaurant reads:
To all our customers who have provided us with their patronage over the years since 1903 in the Kanda area, a long period of time which spans 113 years, we would like to express our deep gratitude from the bottom of our hearts. We sincerely thank you.
If there is any consolation, the sign also mentions that the closure is temporary, which may be plausible, but reopening seems highly unlikely anytime soon.
The tweet that brought the closure to the public’s attention has been retweeted more than 14,000 times since July.
— 新司偵 (@Ki_46ozzie) July 6, 2016
RocketNews24 has translated some of the Twitter responses.
[gravityform id=”13″ title=”false” description=”true”]